With its beautiful big Texas skies, cowboy culture, and blend of urban energy with outdoor beauty, Amarillo stands out as a one-of-a-kind Panhandle city. As the largest metro in the region, Amarillo contains dozens of zip codes spanning vibrant downtown districts out to peaceful master-planned communities on the outskirts.
This comprehensive guide will explore some of Amarillo’s most prominent residential zip codes and what gives each area its own unique sense of place. Whether you’re new to the “Helium Capital of the World” or a longtime local, understanding the nuances across Amarillo’s zip codes provides valuable insight into neighborhoods as diverse as this Texas city itself.
We’ll focus on:
- 79101 – Historic Downtown Amarillo
- 79106 – West Central Amarillo
- 79107 – Northwest Amarillo
- 79118 – Southwest Amarillo
- 79119 – East Amarillo & Canyon
Let’s dive deep into the culture, dining, entertainment and real estate landscape across these core Amarillo zip codes!
79101 – Historic Downtown
The heart of the city, downtown Amarillo centers around zip 79101. This lively hub showcases vintage Route 66 character with iconic attractions. Highlights include:
- The historic San Jacinto District lined with preserved art deco buildings, antique shops and nostalgic restaurants like Coyote Bluff and Sixth Street Café.
- The Golden Light Cantina – A neon-lit Route 66 icon since 1946, serving up cold beer, live music, and cheeseburgers for generations.
- The historic Paramount Theatre hosting Broadway shows, comedy acts, concerts and local programs in an elegant 1930s setting.
Unique lofts and apartments start around $600/month, blending modern living with Route 66 charm.
79101 provides quintessential Amarillo history and culture.
79106 – West Central Amarillo
West of downtown in 79106, neighborhoods and attractions exude Amarillo’s mix of urban energy and western hospitality. Highlights include:
- Medical district anchored by Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, Northwest Texas Hospital, and Amarillo VA Medical Center. Major area employers.
- Wolflin Village – Quaint shopping and dining district built from 1940s Amarillo brick in an old motor court style. Home of Tyler’s Barbecue and Skyline Antique Mall.
- Established neighborhoods like Grandview Heights and Puckett offer affordable ranch homes under $200,000. Close to downtown liveliness.
79106 delivers convenience and vibrancy just beyond downtown.
79107 – Northwest Amarillo
In northwest Amarillo, zip 79107 contains a diverse mix of entertainment, dining, and housing. Popular spots include:
- 806/Bushland – Quirky district along the historic Route 66 alignment, featuring the Big Texan Steak Ranch, quaint antique shops, and local businesses.
- Hospitality – National hotel chains like Hilton Garden Inn cater to visitors near I-40 and Soncy Road.
- Residential areas – Northern Hills neighborhood offers homes starting in the $250,000s. North Amarillo tails off into luxury rural estates.
79107 balances big city perks with Amarillo’s local character.
79118 – Southwest Amarillo
Down in southwest Amarillo, zip 79118 encompasses new neighborhood growth and recreation. Highlights include:
- Presbytera – New homes by Creekstone Investment starting around $300,000 with community pool and park access. Located off Soncy and I-40.
- Medical employment – The SW 45th Avenue corridor near I-40 contains physician offices, surgery centers, and related services.
- John Stiff Memorial Park – 250+ acre park with hiking, disc golf, sports fields, and peaceful walking trails along a creek.
New neighborhoods like Puckett Place offer homes from the $200,000s.
79118 provides a peaceful escape, conveniently located off I-40.
79119 – East Amarillo & Canyon
On Amarillo’s eastern side, 79119 includes the smaller college town of Canyon along with pristine Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Highlights include:
- West Texas A&M University in Canyon – Major four-year university and significant local employer. Home of the Buffaloes!
- Palo Duro Canyon – Second largest canyon in the U.S. offering incredible hiking, biking, horseback riding and stargazing. A true Texas jewel.
- Lakeside Country Club Estates – Exclusive gated golf community surrounding the 18-hole course. Custom homes from $400,000s up to $1 million.
79119 appeals to those seeking college town culture or wide open spaces.
So whether you crave Route 66 nostalgia, new neighborhood convenience, university living or outdoor escapes – Amarillo truly offers it all across its diverse zip codes! Let me know if you need any other local insights.