Nestled in the heart of Silicon Valley, Sunnyvale offers a vibrant blend of high-tech innovation, outdoor recreation, and sublime climate. As one of the largest cities in the Bay Area, Sunnyvale contains dozens of zip codes blanketing everything from R&D campuses to peaceful residential enclaves.
This in-depth guide will explore Sunnyvale’s major zip codes to highlight the unique culture and community found in each district. Whether you’re new to “The City of Innovation” or a longtime local, understanding Sunnyvale’s zip code terroir provides valuable insight into the diverse neighborhoods that make this city thrive.
We’ll focus on:
- 94085 – North Central Sunnyvale
- 94086 – Downtown & South Sunnyvale
- 94087 – Northwestern Sunnyvale
- 94089 – South & East Sunnyvale
Let’s dive deep into what gives each of these vibrant zones its own distinct sense of place!
94085 – North Central Sunnyvale
In north central Sunnyvale, zip code 94085 contains the city’s high-tech heart anchored around Moffett Park. This booming zone is home to:
- Tech campuses for Silicon Valley giants like LinkedIn, Juniper Networks, and the SAP Center sports arena where the San Jose Sharks play.
- Amcity – a new 48-acre high-tech mixed-use village with office space, apartments, shops and parks. Promotes a “live where you work” environment.
- High-end corporate apartments like Levity near LinkedIn’s campus start around $3500/month. Convenience for workaholics!
94085 provides the pulse of innovation that powers the valley.
94086 – Downtown & South Sunnyvale
In central Sunnyvale, zip code 94086 encompasses historic downtown, civic centers, and established neighborhoods. Highlights include:
- Murphy Avenue – Sunnyvale’s lively downtown district offers alfresco dining, boutiques, public art and a classic 1940s movie theater – the Retro Dome Cinema.
- Plaza Del Sol – Outdoor civic plaza hosting community events and the weekly Sunnyvale Farmers Market.
- Historic homes and tree-lined streets give neighborhoods like Cherry Chase vintage appeal. Houses start around $1.5 million. Top schools are a draw for families.
94086 provides small-town charm near urban amenities.
94087 – Northwestern Sunnyvale
In northwestern areas, zip code 94087 contains neighborhoods nestled around parks and outdoor recreation. Notable features include:
- Baylands Park – Over 1,700 acres of open space with hiking, biking, golf and water recreation on the bay. Even whale watching!
- Las Palmas and San Miguel – Mid-century communities offering ranch homes starting around $1.5 million. Close to Apple and Caltrain.
- Town Center – Mixed-use complex with contemporary shopping, dining and entertainment options.
94087 offers peaceful living immersed in nature.
94089 – South & East Sunnyvale
Down in southeast sections, zip code 94089 blankets sprawling residential communities. Highlights include:
- East Sunnyvale – Neighborhoods like Lakewood offer ranch and two-story homes from the 1970s, starting around $1.5 million. Excellent schools nearby.
- South Sunnyvale – Newer planned communities like Remington provide amenities like pools, parks and recreation centers. Homes start around $2 million.
- Retail and dining – Oakwood Center and Cherokee Center mix major national chains with mom-and-pop shops and eateries catering to local flavor.
94089 provides open space and comfort amid Silicon Valley’s go-go pace.
In summary, Sunnyvale’s zip codes offer neighborhoods to fit any lifestyle – from sleek high-tech hotspots to historic tree-lined streets to contemporary master-planned village living. This innovative city provides quintessential California climate and community with a high-tech heart. Let me know if you need any other tips for finding your perfect Sunnyvale zip code!