Located in northeast South Carolina, Florence serves as the economic and cultural hub of the Pee Dee region. With close to 40,000 residents across nearly 65 square miles, Florence contains dozens of unique zip codes encompassing everything from a lively downtown to suburban enclaves and rural communities.
This comprehensive guide will explore the main residential zip codes across Florence to highlight what gives each area its distinctive local flavor. Whether you’re new to Florence or a longtime local, understanding the zip code landscape provides valuable insight into the diverse neighborhoods that make up this charming city.
We’ll focus on:
- 29501 – Downtown Florence
- 29505 – Central and West Florence
- 29506 – North Florence
- 29510 – South Florence
- 29507 – East Florence
Let’s dive deep into the culture, attractions, housing and vibes across Florence’s core zip codes!
29501 – Downtown Florence
The heart of the city, downtown Florence is centered around zip code 29501. This historic hub offers:
- Elegant antebellum architecture along South Dargan Street showcasing majestic churches, homes and buildings from the 19th century.
- Arts and culture at venues like the Florence County Museum, Florence Little Theatre, and FMU Performing Arts Center.
- Local dining and nightlife shine at establishments like Victors, House of Brews, and Seminar Brewing. Don’t miss the Saturday Farmer’s Market!
- Historic bed & breakfasts provide charming downtown lodging options, while condos start around $200,000.
29501 provides an authentic taste of Florence’s welcoming social scene and storied history.
29505 – Central and West Florence
Moving west from downtown, zip code 29505 contains central Florence neighborhoods and shopping centers like:
- Magnolia Mall – Sprawling indoor shopping complex with big box stores, specialty shops and dining options.
- Freedom Florence – Large mixed-use development with retail, medical offices, restaurants and residential.
- Country clubs – Exclusive clubs like Florence Country Club, Traces and Old Plantation provide golf, dining and amenities surrounded by upscale homes.
Homes range from traditional bungalows and ranches around $175,000 to custom new builds approaching $1 million.
29505 balances family living with urban convenience.
29506 – North Florence
Up in north Florence, zip code 29506 contains a diverse mix of housing options and recreation:
- Florence Tennis Center – Public indoor tennis facility with adult and junior programming, lessons, and leagues.
- Neighborhoods – Traditional mid-century homes in areas like Kingsbury and Brookgreen start around $130,000, while new gated communities offer builds from $300,000+.
- Retail – Shops at the intersection of Irby St and W Lucas St include major chains, restaurants, and conveniences catering to daily needs.
29506 provides easygoing neighborhoods in central Florence.
29510 – South Florence
Down in south Florence, zip code 29510 encompasses university culture and spacious living:
- Francis Marion University – A four-year public university set on a beautiful 470-acre campus. Home of the FMU Patriots!
- Hillcrest – Sprawling golf course community built around an 18-hole course also open to the public. Homes from $250,000+.
- Shopping and dining – The South Irby corridor is lined with major retail, chain eateries, and local businesses. Bustling area!
29510 appeals to university families and those seeking peaceful outskirts.
29507 – East Florence
Over on the east side, zip code 29507 includes family-friendly suburbs:
- Florence Center – Massive sports complex with 12 athletic fields, pro-level tennis facility, recreation options for all ages. Tournaments held here.
- Retail – Magnolia Mall area provides all major shopping, dining, services one could need along South Cashua Drive.
- Housing – From cozy 1950s cottages to new gated communities, 29507 offers homes ranging $130,000 to $500,000+. Top rated schools.
29507 provides transportation access, amenities and middle Americana.
In summary, Florence offers something for every lifestyle across its distinctive zip codes – from historic downtown living to modern suburban comfort and rural solace. Let me know if you need any other tips for exploring the neighborhoods of the Queen City of the Pee Dee region!