Spread across the picturesque Texas Panhandle, Amarillo is a city rich in cowboy culture and natural beauty. Within its broad city limits spanning over 90 square miles, Amarillo contains dozens of zip codes, each encompassing diverse neighborhoods and vibes. This deep dive will highlight some of Amarillo’s core residential zip codes and what makes each area distinct.
We’ll focus on:
- 79102 – Historic Downtown Amarillo
- 79106 – West Central Amarillo
- 79107 – Northwest Amarillo
- 79118 – Southwest Amarillo
Let’s discover the local lifestyle found in each vibrant zone!
79102 – Historic Downtown
As the longstanding heart of Amarillo, downtown centers around zip code 79102. This historic hub offers:
- Vintage Route 66 appeal along old motels and diners lining the Mother Road, like the Big Texan Steak Ranch and Cadillac Ranch.
- The restored Paramount Theatre and Globe News Center for the Performing Arts host live entertainment in beautiful early 1900s settings.
- Local restaurants and nightlife shine at spots like Tyler’s Barbecue, The 806, and The Golden Light Cantina.
- Pocket neighborhoods sit amid the bustle, with homes starting around $150,000 conveying downtown’s unique charm.
79102 provides an authentic glimpse at Amarillo’s adventurous past.
79106 – West Central Amarillo
Just west of downtown, zip code 79106 encompasses central Amarillo neighborhoods and attractions including:
- Medical facilities – Anchor the district like Northwest Texas Hospital, Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, and the Thomas E. Creek VA Medical Center.
- Retail – The historic Wolflin Village neighborhood provides eclectic shops and cafes in adapted 1940s buildings.
- Housing – Established neighborhoods like Grandview offer affordable 1950s ranches and ramblers around $175,000, great for young families.
79106 delivers convenience, vibrancy and centrality.
79107 – Northwest Amarillo
In northwest Amarillo, zip code 79107 contains master-planned vibrancy:
- Hospitality – Major national chains like Home2 Suites, Embassy Suites, Marriott and others cater to visitors.
- Dining & nightlife – The Hollywood Roadhouse anchors a stretch of entertainment spots like Barrel & Pie pizzeria and Esquire Jazz Club.
- Shopping – The Globe News Center mall provides big box retail, while small businesses line Western and Georgia Streets.
New neighborhoods like Royal Estates offer spacious homes starting in the $200,000s.
79107 balances big city perks with Amarillo’s local flavor.
79118 – Southwest Amarillo
Down in southwest Amarillo, zip code 79118 encompasses both spacious new living and outdoor recreation. Highlights include:
- Medical Center – The city’s highest concentration of healthcare facilities, including Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.
- Tascosa Golf Club – Highly rated semi-private course great for a brisk West Texas round. Surrounded by homes starting around $250,000.
- John Stiff Memorial Park – Over 250 acres offering hiking, disc golf, sports fields, and peaceful walking trails along a creek.
New developments like Belmar offer homes from the $300,000s.
79118 provides a tranquil escape located conveniently off I-40.
So in summary, Amarillo’s distinctive zip codes convey the city’s unique blend of cowboy charm, artistic spirit, and welcoming community. With endless blue skies overhead, Amarillo offers a comfortable taste of authentic West Texas living. Let me know if you need any other insights on this Panhandle jewel!