Home to nearly 75,000 residents, Albany sits along the Flint River in southwest Georgia. Albany contains over 25 distinct zip codes spanning historic downtown districts out to more suburban neighborhoods. Each area has its own unique personality. This deep dive will explore some of Albany’s core zip codes to uncover what defines life in each vibrant zone.
We’ll focus on:
- 31701 – Downtown Albany
- 31705 – North Albany
- 31707 – Southwest Albany
- 31721 – Southeast Albany
Let’s dive into the culture and real estate landscape across these main zip codes!
31701 – Downtown Albany
The heart of the city, downtown Albany falls within zip code 31701. This historic hub offers:
- Landmark theaters – The art deco Albany Municipal Auditorium and the historic Grand Theatre anchor downtown with performances and events.
- Museums – Explore regional art and history at the Albany Museum of Art, the Ray Charles Memorial and more.
- Downtown dining – Top picks range from cozy cafes like Whitney’s to upscale Southern cuisine at Jonah’s and rooftop views at Ocean 2. Bars offer local brews and live music.
- City living – Loft apartments offer urban walkability starting around $700/month. Historic homes and cottages start near $100,000.
31701 provides arts, culture, dining and Albany’s most vibrant social life.
31705 – North Albany
Just north of downtown, zip code 31705 includes established neighborhoods perfect for families:
- Schools – Some of Albany’s top ranked schools are found in 31705 including Robert Cross Middle and Deerfield-Windsor School private academy.
- Retail – Major shopping centers include the Albany Mall with national chains and eateries. Publix and Walmart are also conveniently located.
- Neighborhoods – Settled mid-century communities like Briarwood offer traditional 3-4 bedroom homes starting around $175,000. Great access to parks.
31705 provides quintessential suburban living in Albany.
31707 – Southwest Albany
In southwest Albany, zip code 31707 contains a blend of character and modern conveniences:
- Chehaw Park – Massive park highlighting Native American history and culture, with nature trails, gardens, zoo, golf and more.
- Philema Road – Lined with graceful Southern mansions and oak-shaded streets, it’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Retail – Pheagas Village lanes offer shopping, dining, bowling and entertainment options.
Homes range from historic two-stories around $350,000 to more affordable ranch fixer-uppers. 31707 balances history with family-friendly lifestyle.
31721 – Southeast Albany
Spanning Albany’s southeast side, zip code 31721 includes settled neighborhoods and agricultural areas:
- Deerfield-Windsor School – Nationally acclaimed K-12 private school campus drawing students from across southwest GA. Established in 1970.
- Albany Nursery and Garden Center – Over 40 acres featuring one of the area’s best garden centers. Seasonal events like pumpkin patches are popular.
- Rural areas – Custom builds on acreage start around $300,000. Close-knit communities offer homes starting in the $150,000s.
31721 provides a taste of countryside living minutes from Albany.
So in summary, Albany’s zip codes offer something for everyone – whether you crave lively downtowns, charming neighborhoods, or a bit of peaceful country living. The Flint River community truly has inviting options for every lifestyle. Let me know if you need any other Albany area zip code guidance!