Nestled along the Colorado River in southwest Arizona, Yuma provides a sunny blend of small town warmth, outdoor recreation, and military influence. With around 30 zip codes blanketeting nearly 100 square miles, Yuma contains distinct neighborhoods spanning from historic downtown to new suburban developments. This deep dive will unpack Yuma’s core residential zip codes to reveal the unique personality within each area.
We’ll focus on:
- 85364 – Historic downtown Yuma
- 85365 – Central and north Yuma
- 85367 – East Yuma, Fortuna Foothills
- 85369 – South Yuma, Martinez Lake
Let’s uncover what gives each of these zones its distinct definition.
85364 – Historic Downtown Yuma
As the longstanding heart of Yuma located along the river, downtown falls primarily within 85364. Here you’ll find:
- Historic architecture – The original townsite features brick buildings and storefronts from the late 1800s to early 1900s, many along Main St. Don’t miss the elegant Yuma Theatre.
- Riverfront parks – Gateway Park and West Wetlands offer green spaces along the Colorado River to walk, play and enjoy river views. Watch for boaters passing by.
- Arizona Historical Society Museum – Highlights Yuma’s history from Native American cultures through pioneer settlement and agricultural growth. Housed in thecentury old Southern Pacific Railroad Depot.
- Downtown dining – Local favorites like Lute’s Casino, River City Grill, and 1040 On the Corner mix with brewpubs and cafes. Don’t miss the weekly Farmer’s Market.
Home styles include charming bungalows and cottages near $200,000.
85365 – Central and North Yuma
Zip code 85365 covers Yuma’s central neighborhoods and northern stretches closer to the military base. Highlights include:
- Marine Corps Air Station Yuma – Major military installation and training facility with 18,000 personnel. A huge economic engine for Yuma.
- Yuma Palms Regional Center – Vibrant shopping district with national retailers, restaurants, cinema and recreational offerings.
- Desert Hills Golf Course – Scenic municipal 18-hole course surrounded by neighborhoods like Desert Hills Estates. Homes from $200,000s.
- Kofa High School – Top rated high school serving northern Yuma neighborhoods. Strong community involvement.
Home offerings range from ramblers and split-levels around $250,000 to larger custom homes over $500,000.
85367 – East Yuma, Fortuna Foothills
In eastern Yuma, zip code 85367 includes neighborhoods like Fortuna Foothills set against the rising terrain. Highlights include:
- Hiking – Trails in the surrounding low mountain ranges and foothills offer epic views and adventures just minutes from home. Birding is popular too.
- Golf – Several acclaimed courses including Briarwood Country Club, Desert Hills, and Cottonwood Golf Club.
- Yuma Proving Ground – Large military installation that tests equipment, artillery and systems for the Army. Major area employer.
- Master-planned communities – Sprawling new developments like Carmelita offer large family homes with shared amenities like pools, parks and recreation centers. Homes from the $300,000s.
85369 – South Yuma, Martinez Lake
In southern Yuma, zip code 85369 contains neighborhoods offering recreational access and rural living. Notable features include:
- Marine Corps Air Station Yuma Training – This southern auxiliary airfield is a hub for pilot training missions. The military fuels Yuma’s economy.
- Martinez Lake – Created by irrigation run-off, Martinez Lake attracts anglers pursuing bass, crappie, bluegill and catfish.
- Coronado Dunes – Close-knit community settled south of Martinez Lake offering single and double-wide manufactured homes. Affordable neighborhood with security gate.
- Rural properties – Custom homes with space for horses, farms and privacy start around $500,000 and climb to $1 million+ as lot sizes increase.
So in summary, Yuma mixes small town heart, history, military vitality and recreation across its diverse zip code regions. From downtown culture to rural acreage, each area reveals its own Southwest brand of charm.