Spanning just 19 square miles on the east side of San Francisco Bay, Union City packs in diversity across its zip codes. From historic neighborhoods to recently developed enclaves, each area has its own flavor. This deep dive guide will explore Union City one zip code at a time to reveal what makes each zone unique.
We’ll cover key zip codes:
- 94587 – Covers west Union City including the Station District and Historic Alvarado District
- 94588 – The central zip code encompassing Decoto and surrounding neighborhoods
- 94555 – East Union City including the Hillside neighborhood
Let’s dive into the local vibe and real estate trends in each!
94587 – West Union City
Zip code 94587 on the western side of Union City contains downtown and historic neighborhoods right off the BART line.
Surrounding the Union City BART station, this area combines transportation access with community events and culture. Highlights include:
- Union City BART Station – This stop on the Fremont-Daly City line connects Union City to the wider Bay Area.
- Station East Residential Area – Apartments and condos ranging from studios to 3 bedrooms, starting around $500,000. Walkable to BART.
- Station Center – Mixed-use development with restaurants, entertainment venues, and public spaces like Station Center Plaza.
- Farmers Market – A weekly farmers market happens year-round, perfect for picking up fresh local produce and artisanal eats.
Historic Alvarado District
Union City’s original downtown centered around Alvarado Blvd, with historic charm and diverse cuisine. Notable spots include:
- Union City Museum of Local History – Learn about Union City’s roots, from early Native American settlers through the rise of railroads and agriculture.
- Restaurant row on Alvarado – Taste your way through Mexican, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian options and more along this strip.
- Sugar Mill Landing Park – Green space along the canal features a sculpture garden and paths for strolling or jogging.
Homes range from brick ramblers and mid-century ranches to Craftsman bungalows, starting around $800,000.
94588 – Central Union City
Moving east, zip code 94588 covers Union City’s central residential district encompassing neighborhoods like Decoto.
- Decoto neighborhood – Offers family-sized homes from the 1950s and 60s with updated kitchens and baths, starting around $900,000. Close to schools and Mariner Park.
- The Marketplace – Anchored by Target, this shopping center also provides dining options like Olive Garden, Starbucks and more.
- Seven Hills Park – Sprawling park with sports fields, a putting green, bocce courts and play structures. Great for families.
- Masonic Home campus – Continuing care retirement community set on over 100 acres of green space.
94588 offers great family amenities and middle class neighborhoods.
94555 – East Union City
On Union City’s eastern border, 94555 contains the Hillside neighborhood set against the hills.
- Hillside homes – Houses range from 1960s ranches to newer two-story Mediterranean styles, ranging $1 million to $1.5 million+ with Bay views.
- Canyon Middle School – Top-ranked middle school serving Hillside families. Strong parent involvement.
- Brookfield Park – Wooded park with a fishing pond, trails, sports fields and a reservable picnic area.
- Union Landing Shopping Center – Retail hub featuring grocery stores like 99 Ranch Market and specialty shops.
In 94555 you’ll find open spaces and modern dwellings. Proximity to Fremont and I-680 makes commuting convenient.
So in summary, Union City’s zip codes create a rich tapestry – from BART-friendly downtown living to central family enclaves to hillside retreats. There’s a niche for everyone in this East Bay community. Just pick the zip code that matches your lifestyle!